Monday, June 07, 2021

FIFTY-ONE New Fiber Vessels!

(Above:  Detail of fifty-one fiber vessels stitched during the last two weeks! Click on any image to enlarge.)

For the past two weeks, I've been in-and-out of my studio stitching up all the cording I made during a recent two-week art residency at the Rensing Center outside Pickens, South Carolina.  It actually takes twice as much time to stitch the cording as it does to stitch the vessel.  I couldn't have made this much work if it hadn't been for the uninterrupted time at the Rensing Center.  Here at home, I am constantly distracted by unsolicited telephone calls, normal household duties ... and of course ... work/framing (and Steve!)

(Above:  Fifty-one fiber vessels waiting for their photo-op!)

While I was at the Rensing Center, Ellen Kochansky (the owner/executive director) asked why it is that I seek out so many art residencies.  Until being questioned, I never really thought about "why" I do this but the answer came pouring out.  I adore focused time without distractions. The ability to leisurely put in sixteen hour days is heaven-sent.  Yes, I know that most people would think that "leisure" and "a sixteen hour work day" are an oxymoron, but it doesn't feel like that to me!  When I am able to do exactly what I want to do, without distractions, all day, for day-after-day, I really can and do work best.  My soul seems to want this way of life ... at least for a little while!

 

(Above:  Balls of cording made at the Rensing Center.)

My father once said, "We are German. We work to live and live to work."  For me, it is the truth ... at least for a month or perhaps two. Yet, I don't think I could keep up the pace forever (or even for more than sixty-days).  I'm pretty sure I need periodic events and changes in my schedule.  From time to time, I want to be around other people, especially other artists.  Still, an art residency is a time during which my mind is totally focused on the task at hand.  It is a time when I can work almost like a very happy machine ... like the "little engine that could"!

 
(Above:  A selection of multi-colored fiber vessels.)

So, I made more balls of cording than I've ever had at one time during the art residency.  Then, I made the fiber vessels.  There were many interruptions but slowly, fifty-one came into existence.  Yesterday, I took photos of them, first in groups and then one at a time.

 
(Above:  Selection of purple and brown fiber vessels.)

All of this was done in anticipation off the upcoming Philadelphia Museum of Art Show in November.  My work was accepted into two categories: Decorative Fibers (my found object mandala series) and Basketry (these fiber vessels.)  I'm not waiting to sell them though!  They are currently available on a sales blog set up just for them.  After all, I can always make more!

 
(Above:  A selection of red and burgundy fiber vessels.)

Almost all of these fiber vessels is priced at just $65 plus SC sales tax and shipping.  No two are alike.  Several have been stitched with metallic thread.  Most have some sort of variegated thread ... just because I adore variegated thread!

 
(Above:  A selection of blue and green fiber vessels.)

For the most part, the exterior thread is different from the interior thread.  The rims are frequently in another thread altogether.  Quite a bit of the thread was purchased by me ... because using "old thread" is frustrating if it breaks all the time.  Yet, at least half of the thread was donated to my stash ... still good!  For those reading who would like to try making one of these fiber vessels, CLICK HERE for a free, on-line tutorial.  Below ... just a few of the fiber vessels recently stitched.







2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Each one is like a beautiful jewel!

Ann Scott said...

I agree with Sherrie Spangler, and they look to be made so well and finely finished.