Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The 2021 Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show

(Above: Mandala LXXXIX. Custom framed: 18 1/2" x 18 1/2". Found objects hand-stitched to a block of a vintage quilt. Found objects include: a lid to a vintage typewriter ribbon can; brass screw eyes; lots of individual key pads from a vintage typewriter; dominoes; blue brushes from a local ceramic paint studio (most without any bristles due to over use!); stag charms; keys; beer bottle caps; laminated Tampa Nugget cigar bands and vintage grocery store stamps; cafe curtain hangers; wheat pennies; two sizes of vintage capacitors; and buttons. Click on any image to enlarge.)

This Found Object Mandala was finished and photographed before the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show but it wasn't done before I packed the boxes.  Therefore, it stayed in Columbia.  Amazingly (and because of the on-line version of the show!), one nice lady has visited my new blog for the Found Object Mandalas and has expressed interest in it.  Perhaps later today, it will have a permanent home! (Update: It is on its travels to New Jersey!)

(Above:  Booth 102 ... just after it was erected inside Hall F of the Pennsylvania Convention Center.)

Anyone following this blog already knows that I was both nervous and excited about this year's Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show.  Sure, I've been accepted seven times but this was the first show for the Found Object Mandalas.  Everything, from the packing to the set-up, seemed new and unfamiliar.  Yet, it went swimmingly well.  In fact, the Found Object Mandala featuring all those tiny "swimmers" (Mandala XXXI) was the first to sell!  Two ladies were considering it at the same moment.  I was stunned.

(Above:  Selfie on Sunday morning!  The booth is totally different due to several sales!)

A week earlier, had anyone asked, I would have predicted that a few of the smaller pieces would sell.  I knew people would enjoy looking at the larger ones but I didn't really believe that anyone would actually make a purchase.  Yet, I sold as many larger ones as smaller ones!  Shocking!  The entire show was a masked event and everyone had to show their vaccination record to access the show.  So, the crowd was a little thinner than in past years but I remained busy all three days.

(Above:  The Christmas ornaments ... before the sale started.)

One of the reasons I stayed busy was due to my colorful fiber vessels and Christmas ornaments.  I'm very happy that I have a good reason to make more of them!  Since returning home, Steve and I have unpacked the van, put everything away, and started the paperwork associated with my inventory book and the PA Dept. of Revenue (sales tax!) and other pesky tasks!  All in all, the show was a success. 

(Above and below:  Details of Mandala LXXXIX.)

I'll be posting again soon.  Why?  Well ... the success of the show means more Found Object Mandalas in the future.  This is a good thing because I had one nearly finished when we left.  It will soon be posted!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Congratulations!

Alex said...

That's fantastic news and so well deserved!

Christine said...

Marvellous news.... congratulations