Saturday, January 08, 2022

Catching UP: Round One, Mandala XCVI

(Above:  Mandala XCVI. Custom framed: 22 5/8" x 22 5/8". Found Objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt.  Found objects include:  A glass lamp section over a clock gear; laminated pieces of a six-part paper calendar fan from 1910; shower curtain hangers; orange insulin needle caps; copper pennies from the UK; six, antique yellow bird Christmas ornaments; six drawer pulls; laminated Tampa Nugget cigar bands; four aluminum cookie cutters, buttons, and orange-and-yellow flowers cut from a decorative textile trim.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Between the holidays, solo exhibitions, and my day job custom picture framing, I've fallen a bit behind.  I'm not referring to my artistic pursuits.  I've been as productive as ever.  It's just that my blogging has fallen behind.  So today, I'm determined to catch up!  This is the first of several posts featuring new artwork made in late December or earlier this month.

(Above:  The six pieces of a paper fan printed with a calendar from 1910.)

This Found Object Mandala was entirely inspired by a holiday party at the Red Lion Antique mall here in Columbia.  The entire place was decorated, had plenty of wine and finger food, and many booths offered special sales.  Steve and I had a very good time and I found a couple treasures like this six-part fan printed with a 1910 calendar.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala XCVI.)

I also found the adorable, glass bird Christmas ornaments.  I'm not sure how old they are but I knew I wanted to stitch them to a section of this particular, old quilt.  In my mind, I saw how the yellows and oranges would work together.  Yet, something was off.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala XCVI.)

Then ... and most unexpectedly ... a nice lady donated a large stash of "stuff" to my collection.  Among the things was a decorative fabric trim of yellow and orange flowers.  Once cut into small pieces and stitched to the surface, this mandala strung to life!  I am always so grateful to those who are contributing to my stash.  It is amazing how very many times the perfect "something" arrives just when it is most needed!

3 comments:

mycamerandme365 said...

My family had some identical glass birds for our Christmas trees in the late 1950s.
Yours would probably date from the same time. Some of ours were blue, and so pretty.
Unfortunately the Christmas tree fell over in the 1990s and the birds, along with our glass bells dating from the 1930s were all broken.
Sue (Melbourne, Australia.

Shannon said...

This one has so many unique things on it! That fan! So fantastic!

Ann Scott said...

Thanks for catching us up on all these goings on with you. Great new pieces, I really appreciate being able to see the mandala pieces and their close up detail. They're amazing!