Sunday, March 05, 2023

Second post from Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge

(Above:  Me on my first day of kayaking at Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

It is hard to believe that I left home a week ago in order to be the artist-in-residency at Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge. Days are flying by.  Inspiration is everywhere, even while paddling around on Lake Bluff.  Until this week, I hadn't kayaked in years, but it seemed a shame not to try it again.  Thankfully, kayak is sort of like "riding a bike", you don't really forget how to do it!

(Above:  My kayak for the residency ... near what seems to be my own, private dock!)

I was told that I could claim a kayak at one of the refuge's buildings but it wasn't necessary.  Just down the slope from the bunk house where I'm staying was a kayak and paddle ... very near a slightly broken down dock.  Perhaps the dock is in this condition for several sensible reasons.  First, this area is restricted to staff only.  Second, there's a very large, downed tree blocking access to the dock.  Third, clearing away the tree and fixing a dock for only staff use just couldn't be a priority, especially during the pandemic.  So ... basically, I have a really nice kayak, paddle, and a private dock.  It didn't take much effort to pull the kayak over the tree, get it into the lake, and head out for an adventure!

(Above:  Sunrise at "my dock".)

Fishing, boating, and kayaking are restricted to March 1 - Halloween.  This means I was one of the first people on Lake Bluff this year.  I went just after a beautiful sunrise.  I plan on seeing this daily miracle every morning that I'm here.

I took my iPhone with me ... triple Ziploc-bagged!  I was worried about finding my dock and thought I might need the GPS signal from the phone to navigate back to where the bunk house appears.  I was wrong.  There's a nice, white sign posted for others on the water. It is attached to one of the cypress trees. It says that "my dock" is off limits to the general public.

I'm glad I brought the iPhone along.  After all, I got a nice selfie and a few beautiful images of the view  seen from the kayak.

(Above:  Lori Neuenfeldt and a student setting up a small display of my wearable art garments in the MSU Clock Museum.)

Exploring nature and kayaking aren't the only things I'm doing as artist-in-residence.  Last Thursday I met with Lori Neuenfeldt, gallery director and instructor at Mississippi State University.  One of Lori's students created a small installation of my wearable art garments for display in the MSU Clock Museum.  The student (working under Lori's supervision for visual arts credit!) curated the show from my Drop Box images, wrote and designed the signage and labels, and then installed the work.  Truly, this was an honor, a real "teaching moment" where I was just the "subject matter".  Totally cool.

Of course we all took pictures.  The pieces will be on view until later this month.

(Above:  Jeff Harris presenting a Power Point presentation to the Friends of Noxubee.)

I learned plenty when attending the monthly meeting of the Friends of Noxubee RefugeFriends of Noxubee Refuge was founded in 2003 as an independent, nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, dedicated to conserving natural resources through volunteer work and fund raising.  The art residency program is actually administered through this active group.  Jeff Harris, a research professor at MSU Extension, is a life-long beekeeper and avid bird watcher.  His program was excellent and I met all sorts of nice people who obviously love the refuge. 

Mostly, I've been out walking.  Last Friday I went very early in the morning because the weather forecast included high wind and rain later in the day. I was the only person around.  I returned on Saturday.  There were dozens and dozens of people fishing, boating, hiking, and having a great time.

I'd never seen a mobile boat cleaning station ...

... and I really liked this installation made by a local student science group.  Sticks and twigs were assembled in the size of a bald eagle's nest.

My Friday walk included this view from the paved walkway near the Visitor Center.  The colors were vivid and the sky seemed alive ... and ... well ... a few moments later, the storm blew in fiercely.  I was happily soaked.  Just two hours later, it was clear again.   People say that this area of Mississippi can experience all four seasons in a single day!

On another walk, I came upon an area where the refuge staff had just completed a prescribed burn.  Controlled burns like this are done to rid the forest of dead leaves, downed tree limbs, and other debris that might add fuel to a really destructive wildfire.  This land management can also reduce insects, destroy invasive plants, and rejuvenate a healthy ecosystem that depend on fire.  On yet another walk, I came upon a really, really big, basking alligator.  I didn't get close enough for a photograph.  I watched it for twenty minutes.  It moved its tail twice.  Believe it or not, alligators average seventeen hours of sleep a day.  Perhaps they need so much sleep because they sleep with one eye open.  Part of their brain is still actively "on alert".  Though mostly nocturnal, alligators often are active during the day.  So ... I wasn't about to get closer.  Trust me!  It was BIG!

(Above:  Inside the bunk house, my fiber vessel station.)

Of course, I'm also stitching fiber vessels while here.  My station in the bunk house is absolutely ideal.  I'll post photos of some of the work on a later entry!

3 comments:

Ann Scott said...

I'm really enjoying your Noxubee posts. Your photos are fantastic, I can see how inspiring it would be experiencing and learning about such a beautiful area. Very nice to read about the student installation project too. I'm looking forward to seeing your fabric and fiber projects, especially Sun Bonnet Sue (not a favorite pattern of mine either). Stay safe and keep an eye out for those gators!

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a beautiful, inspiring area! I can't wait to see the art you produce there.

Christine said...

Sounds like this is a really great residence. Love your photos.
Stay safe
X