Thursday, August 10, 2023

The End (at least according to Steve!) of my Patchwork Installation!

(Above:  The last piece in my Patchwork Installation.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

From the start of this project, my goal was to stitch one hundred units for the installation.  It seemed like an impossible number.  It wasn't.  This piece brings the total to 123.  At this point, Steve said, "You need to stop this!"  Please know, he wasn't being unsupportive.  He wasn't trying to stifle my creativity.  He certainly knows that I have more than enough vintage textile scraps to stitch more than another hundred. He was, however, looking at the overflowing boxes containing this series and wondering exactly how I am going to get it all in the cargo van with the rest of the artwork that is headed to my solo show at the Imperial Centre in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.  Seriously, storage is an issue and the available space in the cargo van is limited!  So ... I've stopped (at least temporarily!  In another few months, I'll show Steve some beautiful scraps and he'll think it was his idea that I stitch up more pieces! LOL!)  

The exhibit is called Once & Again: Alterations.  It opens on September 15th and there will be a public reception on Sunday, September 24 from 2 - 4.  In addition to the Patchwork Installation, I will be showing all four Sun Bonnet Sue series:  The Feminist To Do List, Sue's Environmental To Do List, Sue Goes to the Protest, and Sue's Thank You Notes ... plus Crazy (In the Millennial Era), The Clothesline, and several Found Object Mandalas.  If there's room, I have a few more pieces I'd like to take too.  The provided space can handle more!

The last piece is special! (It's the first one in this blog post.) I saved the red-and-white quilted block for just this milestone.  It was stitched by my Oma Lenz and given to my cousin Monika.  Monika has followed the progression of this installation and sent it to me.  (It had been a pillow!)  Oma Lenz was from "the Old World", born and raised in rural Hungary where girls weren't educated past fifth or sixth grade.  They were taught other things ... like how to plant flax seeds and then harvest it ... and then go through the retting process ... and then scrap it ... and finally spin it so that it could go to the weaver's shop.  (Click here for an excellent article explaining how linen is made!)  Oma did not do her own weaving.  She was busy cooking, cleaning, keeping detailed financial ledgers, and taking care of the household with three boys ... without indoor plumbing other than a rooftop installed rain water cistern.  Oma Lenz could sew anything, crochet anything, knit anything ... all without a pattern.  Her apfelstrudel was better than anything from a bakery.  She died in December 1977.  Sadly, this was before I found myself addicted to needlework ... though years earlier, Oma Lenz did get my through my Girl Scout sewing badge.  I was touched to receive her quilt block and truly loved incorporating my stitching with hers.

I will not be selling this last piece but the other 122 will be available after the show in Rocky Mount.  Steve and I have discussed pricing multiple times.  We've decided on one-dollar per square inch ... even if these pieces are sold through an exhibit or gallery taking a commission.  For me, it is far better to have these pieces find permanent homes than to stay with me.  I'm guessing that's what Monika felt when she mailed Oma Lenz's quilt block to me.  I'm guessing Oma Lenz would approve too!

The installation plan is to hang these pieces randomly abutting one another ... up-and-down and literally around the gallery walls like a meandering stream of textiles.  I can envision it and am hopeful that what my mind sees comes to life! One way or the other, I'll be taking a video and lots of pictures of this installation and then figuring out how to sell from there. 

Lots and lots of people have contributed to this installation by donating lace, well worn quilts, lengths of fancy trim, and appliqued butterflies, etc.  THANK YOU ... all of you! 

Now I have to admit something!  I thought I had already blogged the pieces that were finished at the end of July.  I shared them to Facebook.  I shared them to Instagram.  But, I forgot to blog them!  Trying to keep up with art correspondence, social media, blogging, working as a custom picture framer, mounting a solo show at the Morris Center and then having three installations at the College of Central Florida, plus the excitement of our future move into a renovated church ... well ... Sorry I forgot!  Truly, I am sorry.  As much as I enjoy the speed and reach of social media, I love my blog the best. 

One of the most important reasons for my blog is the ability to link various posts.  Just last week I was contacted by the Southeastern Quilt and Textile Museum in Carrollton, GA for an October solo show.  It was an unexpected opening in the schedule.  They looked at my website and knew that my work in Central Florida would be ending.  Without really knowing what the work even was, they asked if I could bring it to Carrollton.  It was SO WONDERFUL to quickly write back and link the blog post I wrote ... with images that are twice the size of the compression for pictures on social media.  With a clear understanding between us, I am now expecting a contract tomorrow!  I can't number the times when linking a blog post has saved me time and provided the right information to someone else.  I promise to keep blogging ... even if I forget sometimes!  Now ... just scroll down for the pieces finished at the end of July!









 

5 comments:

Margaret said...

It's wonderful, Susan! It's going to look spectacular in situ!

Christine said...

Beautiful pieces of work, your installation ideas sound wonderful.

Ann Scott said...

You are such a good writer! This was a fun read and I appreciate that you take us along by sharing stories and events that are happening in your art and life. These pieces are wonderful - you have given them a new and longer life.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

Susan - all sounds exciting - and your abilities to both make and then show

Nancy said...

These are delightful. And I must admit that storage crossed my mind when I see all of your wonderful pieces and the variety of what you do. Pricing- always a challenge to know how to proceed. But this looks like a terrific exhibit coming up and I look forward to your video.