Monday, October 30, 2023

After a really busy week back at home!

(Above:  Selfie with the newest hand-stitched In Box piece.  Click on either image to enlarge.)

Generally, I dislike photos of myself, especially selfies, but it seems to be one of the best ways to actually present the scale of an artwork and the framed presentation.  So ... here's another picture of me with another hand-stitched In Box piece.  With all the traveling and the trips to the church we are having renovated for our retirement home, I will likely have more of these colorful creations.  

(Above:  In Box CDXLI.  Framed 19 3/4" x 15 3/4". $375.  Layers of polyester stretch velvet fused to recycled, black industrial felt with hand embroidery. 100% cotton embroidery floss. Melting technique.)

This piece was stitched while I was riding in the cargo van on the way to my art residency at Bethany Arts Community in Ossining, NY.  It didn't get framed, however, until this past week.  Lots of things got framed this past week!  It is amazing just how many client orders were dropped off with Steve in my absence.  It's almost like a month of work piled up in just two weeks.  Most of the last few days have been spent designing presentations, cutting mats, and just "catching up".  All the while, I've been thinking/planning/hoping and looking forward to the coming year when we will finally be RETIRED and I will finally be a FULL TIME ARTIST.  

I have been stitching this past week (mostly in the evening after dinner), just not finishing anything.  Soon, however, the Found Object Tornado will be complete!  It was started over a month ago but had to stay here in Columbia while I was in New York and conducting a fiber art workshop in Kentucky.  More might have been accomplished ... except that I am now spending time packing and moving lots of things!  I hope to snap a few photos and write a blog post after our next trip to Cateechee, our future church home!

2 comments:

Ann Scott said...

Another wonderful, colorful piece. I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more about your "new" home and future artwork.

Margaret said...

I never mind it when you post a photo of yourself with your work -- I love to see your smiling face along-side your amazing creations! Have you moved into your new digs? I've been collecting more goodies for you to use in your work and will need to mail them to you, so please e-mail me your mailing address! Hugs from western Canada...