Saturday, October 14, 2023

Approaching the end of my art residency at Bethany Arts Community

 
(Above:  Detail of my new, lacy installation.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

The time here at the Bethany Arts Community is flying by.  Because this is only a two-week art residency experience, I haven't blogged as often because I seriously want to spend as much time stitching on my new installation and also absorbing the many events and places around me.  As a result, I have plenty to show for my efforts.  It seems that I intuitively brought the perfect amount of materials on which to work in the time I have.  I took the image for this blog post a day or so ago.  Since then, at least another suspended strand has been finished.  All total, I have upholstery cord for fifteen.  I have today will see the fourteenth done.  I have tomorrow for the last one.

 
(Above:  The start of the suspended installation.)

I'm not going to type out the inspiration for this new installation again.  I wrote about it last week.  CLICK HERE to access that blog post. In that post, I mentioned and provided an image of my 2011 piece, The Canopy. So, I'm still calling these things "bedposts" and I still need a better name!  Anyone reading with ideas?  If so, please share!  I can't keep calling them by this term or by the other source of inspiration!  I can't keep saying I'm created a lacy "kelp forest".  What's a better title?

 

(Above:  Detail image of how these "strands" are stitched.)

To stitch these things, I first cut up my stash of lace, doilies, crocheted bedspreads and tablecloths, and other fabric with embellishment. All these things came from auctions, thrift stores, and through the generosity of others donating to my collection.  Then, using a chenille needle and perle cotton thread, I'm stitching the pieces to the one-inch upholstery cording,  I start at the bottom and work my way up to the loops I've previously stitched as an end.

(Above:  Natalya Khorover in her Port Chester studio.)

I could easily spend two weeks holed up in my studio stitching this installation but I haven't done that!  I've had a few wonderful experiences ... including a visit with Natalya Khorover in her Port Chester studio.  We had lunch at a cool Peruvian restaurant and talked about art, life, recycling, installations, family, materials, and epoxy! 

 

(Above:  Selfie with SAQA regional-rep Linda Stern (left) and Ossining resident/SAQA member Tamar Drucker.)

Last Tuesday I gave my HOT workshop Zoom presentation to the NY/NJ regional SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) meeting.  Within no time, I had a lunch date with Linda Stern and Tamar Drucker.  They visited my provided residency studio and took me into Ossining for a fabulous lunch at a great Turkish restaurant. 

 

(Above:  The crossing bridges and Ossining aqueduct.)

Both these talented art quilters live in the area.  They took me to see the Ossining aqueduct with its double bridge ....

... and the Croton Gorge dam.  Although it has been rather rainy here in the Hudson River Valley.  The sun shone that day and made it a very memorable outing!  THANKS Linda and Tamar!

 
(Above:  Bernard Brown's residency trio.)

There have been activities here at Bethany too ... including a tremendous dance and original music performance by a trio under Bernard Brown.  The evening included the audience dancing too!

 

(Above:  Open Mic at Hudson Valley Books for Humanity in downtown Ossining, New York.)

Last night, Bethany Arts Community collaborated with the Hudson Valley Books for Humanity for Open Mic. Maya, a young atist-in-residence (a three-month program for artists under 35) read poetry and introduced those who read from their upcoming novels and poems or sang original works.  It was a magical evening.  Now ... scroll down for a few detail images of my new installation ... which needs a proper title!










3 comments:

Bernadette said...

All that white speaks to me of weddings. Maybe "After the Wedding"? or "Fiftieth Anniversary"? or "Wedding Dress Decomposition"?"?

Margaret said...

Another wonderful adventure you've had, Susan! Now then...those pillars of lace, or bedposts...when hung close together they remind me of the long, narrow waterfalls I've seen in the Canadian Rockies like this one in Banff Nationl Park:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridal_Veil_Falls_(Banff)

Maybe a title to do with falling water?

Ann Scott said...

Looks and sounds like a grand time! I look forward to the title you decide on. My entry "Memories Cascade."