Sunday, May 19, 2024

Four Large Lancet Windows in Progress

(Above:  The first of four Large Lancet Windows under construction this week.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Finally I've found myself able to actually start constructing the four Large Lancet Windows that have been planned for months.  Steve even built the needed frames before we moved!  I had the designs ready but just wasn't in a place to start until this past week.  A natural rhythm was established almost immediately ... as if I've always worked in this new, sanctuary-sized studio.  


(Above:  Another vertical Large Lancet Window.)

Each one is constructed on a piece of recycled, black industrial felt.  It's really the same thing as the synthetic felt sold in big box stores.  Yet, this felt was once the packaging material that protected a kayak or canoe in transit from a manufacturer to my friend's outdoor shop.  On the felt is layers of polyester stretch velvet.  All the material has been previously prepped.  Wonder Under (Pellon 805) was ironed to the reverse.  I hand cut the shapes and fuse them together.


(Above:  A horizontal Large Lancet Window in progress.)

These pieces are headed to the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville.  They really like having both vertical and horizontal pieces.  So ... I am creating two verticals, one horizontal, and one (below) that can be hung in either orientation.  


(Above:  A Large Lancet Window that can be hung either vertically or horizontally.)

I've finished all the constructions and have applied strips of chiffon scarves and/or bridal tulle over the surface.  This addition makes it easier for my machine to stitch over the uneven surfaces.  Today, I finished all the free motion stitching.  I use only 100% cotton, black thread.  Tomorrow, I'll staple the first one to its stretcher bar and start melting holes through the synthetic layers using my various sized soldering irons.  With any luck, these will all be finished in time to deliver them to the Grovewood next weekend.  Thank goodness I'm now a full-time artist!  It'll be hours and hours of work this week but I truly love doing it!
 

2 comments:

irene macwilliam said...

they look fabulous. I look forward to seeing the full frontal view. I wish you many happy years in your new studio

Margaret said...

Clearly you've been influenced by your new location...