Friday, June 28, 2024

The Lace Forest at Featherstone Gallery, Martha's Vineyard

(Above:  The Lace Forest inside the small chapel on the grounds of Featherstone Gallery on Martha's Vineyard Island.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

It all started last October during a two-week art residency at Bethany Arts Community outside Ossining, NY.  Well ... that's not entirely true!  The inspiration came from the Monterey Aquarium, a place our family visited almost three decades ago.  I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the kelp forest.  This seed of inspiration lay dormant for a long time ... until I created The Canopy in 2012.  That's when I dreamed up a way to turn the inspiration into an installation.  But, I didn't do it.  The idea resurfaced in 2022 when I got another chance to show The Canopy.  At that point, I applied for the residency in New York.  (Images can be found on the first blog post I wrote from Bethany Arts.  CLICK HERE.)

(Above:  Provided signage for The Lace Forest.  If you look closely in the background, the little chapel is visible between the trees.)

It was during the final few days of this residency when I got a telephone call from curator Michele Beasley Malone asking if I would bring The Lace Forest to an invitational exhibit at Featherstone Gallery on Martha's Vineyard.  I couldn't say YES fast enough.  At the time, I had fifteen strands completed.  Since moving into our renovated Cateechee mill village church, I stitched another fifteen.  I was also asked for other artwork and agreed to drive it all to Martha's Vineyard and help with the installation of the entire show.  

 

(Above:  The little chapel at Featherstone Gallery.)

I was totally over the moon to be given the Schule Chapel for The Lace Forest.  This tiny space was almost single-handedly constructed by long time Edgartown pastor John Schule as a place for spiritual retreat and family events.  Later, it was moved to Featherstone as an intimate exhibition space.  To me, it was the most perfect setting imaginable.  Each strand of lace was tied to the exposed, white painted wooden beams.  


 (Above:  The entryway into the chapel.)

It took Steve and I less than an hour to install.  Then, I took photos and even THIS VIDEO!  The space had two strings of white twinkle lights which we included ... making me think about the future.  I'm now toying with ideas for unique lighting ... perhaps even a sound installation of babbling water and/or videos of water on exterior walls.  Whether this happens or not, I learned plenty!

I learned that I definitely need more strands of lace.  Yet, this isn't going to be much of a problem (at least for the next fifteen!)  I have already accumulated another two tubs of lace.  I got this new stash at the Urban Recycled back in Springfield, Illinois when installing my solo show at the Springfield Arts Association.  The woman running the place said there might be even more lace in the shop's storage site.  If so, I'll be collecting even more when I return to take down my show!  My goal is to have at least fifty strands! More would be even better!  (If reading this and wanting to donate anything crocheted or lacy, please mail to Mouse House, 320 North Church Street, Central, SC 29630! Thanks!)

Now ... back to the invitational show!  It's called Rising Up! A Multi-Cultural Celebration of Stitched Fine Art.  The exhibit is up through July 21st.  Also included in the gallery space are several of my other artworks.  In fact, the Jeanna Shepard came during the installation to snap some fabulous photographs for the Vineyard Gazette!  This is one of the shot that appeared in print and on-line!

The reception was last Sunday from 4 - 6.  Lots and lots of people attended.  Most wandered out the door to The Lace Forest too!  Scroll down for two more images!





1 comment:

Angela said...

Your lace forest is stunning!