Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Mandala CCLXXXVI: A Special Commission

 

(Above:  Mandala CCLXXXVI: R. John Wright Doll Maker Memorabilia.  Custom framed:  30" x 30". Objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Objects include the client's R. John Wright Doll Maker's memorabilia with pink fabric yoyos, crocheted circles; metal drawer pull plates; heart-shaped pet rabies tags; yellow game chips; and assorted buttons and beads. Click on any image to enlarge.)

Seriously, I didn't think I could finish this commission before leaving for Burning Man.  I even told the client that I wouldn't start it until after I returned, but it was nicely laid out ... on my main studio table.  Basically, the design was fresh in my mind, and the things were in the way of other work.

So I stapled the section of the vintage quilt to a stretcher bar ...

... and I positioned all the client's memorabilia on top.  With the exception of the crocheted circles and the one metal drawer pull plate, everything in the above image was from the "general store" on R. John Wright's website.  Since 1976 John Wright and his wife Susan have been making award winning dolls in Vermont.  Unfortunately, he died last year.  Many of the things included with these realistic dolls are now available ... like the ruby red slippers that Wizard of Oz's Dorothy doll wears.  (That doll was released in an edition of 350 in 2011.  There are still a few left ... for $3,020.00! Believe me, these dolls are not for children.  They are undoubtedly collector's items!)  I didn't think I would actually have time to stitch all these things down but somehow I did!

 
(Above:  Detail of Mandala CCLXXXVI.)

For the most part, everything inside the circle of collector pins is from the client (except the blue-and-purple ribbon on the straw hat.)  Before tackling the area outside the main circle, I stitched a button outline around the perimeter and added the crocheted circles and metal drawer pull plates.  Then, I stood back and looked at the work.

 
(Above:  Detail of Mandala CCLXXXVI.)

 It didn't take me long to find the pink fabric yoyos to which I added the lavender shank buttons.  I enhanced the edge of the main circle with the yellow game chips and red buttons.  Finally, the heart-shaped pet rabies tags were added.  Then the piece was mounted, framed, and photographed.  The client was surprised when I sent her images.  She loves it!  It is already in a shipping container and on its way to its new home!

So ... one more piece was finished before I leave at dawn on Friday!  I thought the last blog post would be my last before this adventure.  I'm now sure this one will be!





No comments: