Friday, October 02, 2026

Two new Peacock Feathers for the upcoming Southern Highland Craft Show!

 

(Above:  Two new Peacock Feathers.  Framed:  31 1/2" x 11 1/2" each.  Polyester stretch velvet, sheer chiffon, metallic foiling, and a real peacock feather.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

In less than two weeks, I'll be in booth 414 at the Southern Highland Craft Show in downtown Asheville and these two Peacock Feathers will be there, available for just $395 a piece.  I adore making these pieces!  Even though the design is basically the same, no two peacock feathers are ever alike.  I sure know this to be true!  After all, these are Peacock Feather XLII and XLIII ... that's Roman numerals for 42 and 43.  Because of the elegant beauty of these feathers, I never tire of making new pieces in this series.

 
(Above:  Detail of one of the Peacock Feathers.)

When I made the first one, I thought I'd free-motion stitch around all the individual strands extending from the central shaft.  These are called "branches" or "barbs".  Silly me!  There is an average of three hundred of them!  Each barb is also made up of tiny branchlets/barbules ... approximately two million of them!  Until developing this series, I really didn't appreciate the complexity of a peacock feather (or any feather for that matter!)  I simply knew they were beautiful.

No comments: