Sunday, October 08, 2006

African Artifacts

I almost forgot one of the most important things that happened in the past few days! Dimba, the West African artifact dealer, came to Columbia and set his wares out for the public infront of Ginny Newell's art restoration shop on Devine Street. I used the digital images I took of his merchandise in order to create the work for my upcoming show at USC Aiken.

My entire African series is based on the digital images of Dimba's masks, textiles, furniture, and trinkets. Of course, when our hard drive crashed I lost everything. Even the company in Charlotte specializing in reclaiming data from dead hard drives couldn't retreive a thing. All my images were gone. But, I was granted an opportunity to shoot new pictures!

The stash of masks and artifacts was more impressive than ever. I had give myself a crash course on the operations of the new camera, but I was able to take 224 new pictures. I am in debted to Ginny Newell for her invitation and to Dimba for his willingness for me to photograph all his pieces! New art is ON THE WAY!

1 comment:

MysteryKnitter said...

I am glad you could take the new pictures.