Monday, May 14, 2007
Since joining three different blog rings, I've spent some time clicking from one fantastic, fiber related blog to the next. I stumbled onto one with amazing images of rusted fabric. http://suzstuff.blogspot.com
While I don't have gorgeous, rusted dragons or fairies, I do have an entire candy tin full of rusted, square nails that I purchased from the antique plumbing shop in Murphys, California. I just had to try this idea. The more I thought about it, the more I knew this would be this weekend's experimentation. Also, things just fell into place.
I've got an idea now...a use for my thirty-one pieces of silk with rusted nail designs...an altered book: Nails in a coffin, 1861-85. I've got dozens and dozens of civil war era pages from Harper's Weekly. I've got an antique cover and binding. I have a plan. I'm excited.
Now, how did I do this. I followed the brief instruction from the other blog...sort of. I mixed about a half cup of white vinegar into a quart of water. I didn't measure. I soaked the pieces of cut silk individually in the solution and wrung them out...to what I'd call "damp". Then I stacked the fabric with the nails: fabric, nails, two pieces of fabric, nails, two pieces of fabric, nails....etc. I pressed the fabric down around the nails as I went and then used an extra large zip-lock bag of sand to apply pressure. I stacked everything in a sealable plastic container and placed it in the sunshine. Every hour of so, I continued to pour more vinegar/water solution on the top and around the side...just enough to keep everything "damp". I'm pleased with my results....after only six or seven hours.
Now...I've got to make the book!
Posted by Susan Lenz at 11:18 AM