Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Video now have their own place!

Steve and Mathias went to Washington, DC for the weekend. There was an antiquarian book auction...making it a "business" trip...but the real reason to go was in order for Mathias to take ballet class with his Kirov Academy teacher/mentor Anatoli Kuckeruk.



On Friday I went to the "Altered Diva" meeting at Creative Sewing. (Photo above) I had never been to such a gathering and found it rather odd. It seemed to be mostly traditional quilters. They thought it totally strange that a non-quilter would purchase an embellisher. They asked me, the embroiderer, one question, "What's the 'moss' stitch?", which I didn't know. In truth, I know few very stitches. I know fewer names of stitches. I felt like an idiot, totally intimidated, and out of place. I doubt that I'll return to this group but did enjoy talking to their "leader" Sandra Baker, who is a member of Fringe Sisters...a closed group of quilters working in some non-traditional ways. http://www.fringesisters.com/ I've enjoyed the work produced by this talented bunch of ladies.

In the meantime, I've been in my studio creating my "complex cloth". This is great fun and I'll post some of my favorites later. I did, however, create yet a new blog. This is how I finally solved how to quickly locate my videos of altered books and the "Blues Chapel" exhibition from last summer. I linked it under "LINKS", of course; but, it is also here: http://videosbysusanlenz.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

It soooo important to find a group of like minded folks to share your love of fibre with. There are so many different aspects to our work, that sometimes you have to visit a number of different groups ...... until you find one you feel compatible with. Have Fun.
Best wishes
Maggie

SeamRippstress said...

Altered Diva's? I'd so wind up at that group based on the name too. That's why i joined my local art doll group - i never felt like i "belonged" in trad-quilt circles.