Friday, September 26, 2008
Work Created during the first week at the MacNamara Foundation
(Above: Blood Donor. Stitched words: Saving Lives One Pint at a Time. Xylene transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded. 25" x 17" unframed.)
I've settled into the routine of working in the new space and in the midst of the other artists. I've created some work, photographed it, and now it's time to share some of the pieces created thus far.
Above is the first piece I worked on. I'd already created the xylene transfer before leaving South Carolina but hadn't put the layers together or even thought about stitching it. Still, this is a piece in my "Decision Portrait Series" and was something with which I was familiar....something perfect on which to begin working in a new setting.
I'm honored to know this business man who have donated over 75 pints of blood and often holds blood drives in the parking lot of the Biscuit House, a breakfast restaurant he owns. I shot the photo as he stood in the window for "take away" orders.
I've finished Death Wish too but need to email the image to person who submitted the digital data before posting.
(Above: Elements. 13" x 10". Hand stitching on heat transfer painted polyester. Polyester velvet shapes, previously painted Wonder Under...Bond-a-Web....metallic foil, chiffon scarf, free motion machine embroidery, melting.)
I brought along a piece of polyester with a heat transferred architectural design on it. This started an experiment....combining my "Elements of Architecture Series" with bonding and melting. I'm very happy with the results. Generally, I hand stitch these pieces heavily, apply a sheer chiffon scarf on top, and free motion stitch. This time, I didn't stitch every little space but added shapes of polyester velvet then added the Wonder Under, foil, scarf, and finally the stitching.
Continuing my experimental mode and with interest in the natural surroundings, I made three little studies with plant life. Above and below are two small ferns from the woodlands around the MacNamara Foundation. I sandwiched them between previously painted fragments of Wonder Under and chiffon scarves. A snippet or two of fibers and a few strands of angelina were included on one. I put the sandwich on a piece of water soluble, adhesive coated fabric and free motion embroidered. Each was dissolved in warm water. They are perfectly light, diaphanous, samples. I might build on this idea.
(Click on any of the images in this post for an enlargement.)
Above is an autumn oak leaf created like the ferns but using some copper foiling too.
The second piece I created here in Maine was also something with which I am really comfortable. Working in a new setting and among such accomplished artists is more than a bit daunting. Making an "In Box" is sort of like relying on a "security blanket" but I do love making them. I'm planning on creating several small ones too....just because I'll finally have the time to really make smaller works for potential sales. Not everyone needs a big piece and many people have asked if I ever made these in smaller sizes. Now I will.
(Above: Detail of the In Box....I forgot which number was next in the series and my catalog is at home in South Carolina!)
(Above: In Box with Acorn Caps. 13" x 10".)
I also challenged myself to use "something" of Maine when creating an "In Box". Above is the result. There are literally MILLIONS of acorn caps here. I think they are SO CUTE. I discovered that they could easily be fashioned into natural beads. After stitching this small work, I collected hundred of acorn caps and spent last evening turning then into a stash for another piece....I haven't decided what sort of piece but time will tell!
Posted by Susan Lenz at 2:22 PM