Tuesday, March 17, 2009

From Preaching to Teaching, Decision Portrait Series


(Decision Portrait Series, From Preaching to Teaching. 25" x 19", unframed; 31" x 25", framed. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand embroidered. Stitched words: Leaving the ministry gave me the freedom to express all religious viewpoints without being an official spokesman for only one; Once Ordained. Click on image to enlarge.)

The Decision Portrait Series has included several pieces with spiritual decisions including Priest, Rabbi, Buddhist, Atheist, and Christian. I'd love to create pieces for other religious viewpoints and included this desire on the Decision Portrait "wish list". I hadn't, however, thought about someone who identifies with the concept of pluralism! This is actually strange because I totally agree! After all, I see all these portraits hanging together, coexisting, being part of a larger exhibition! I am indebted to my friend Cindi Boiter for making this suggestion and to Facebook for aiding the connection. Yet, most of all I am indebted to Hal French/this man for agreeing to pose and sharing a wonderful, insightful conversation with me when I took the photo. I also enjoyed just being in his office. Hanging on the wall was an oil painting by my mentor Stephen Chesley. The image was used on the cover of The University of South Carolina Press's edition of Hal French's book Zen and the Art of Everything.....which has been published elsewhere and has received all sorts of glowing reviews!

No comments: