Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dove of Peace


(Above: Dove of Peace, Grave Rubbing Series. 14" x 18". Black crayon on taffeta, recycled felt, vintage linen backing; antique lace; beads; hand and free motion machine embroidery. Click on image to enlarge.)

This grave rubbing was done from three different stones in the Presidio Military Cemetery in San Francisco. It is only the second piece in the series that isn't a collage; it's a "whole quilt"....I think(?) I've really only been quilting since last fall and am not sure about all the proper vocabulary. Whatever it is....there's only one piece of material making up the top layer. I didn't actually "plan" the design; I just liked how these rubbings looked without snipping them apart first. When I put the antique lace in place, I knew my design was complete. For some reason, I didn't do a lot of handwork on this small art quilt. I don't think it needed it.

Steve and I just decided to head to Washington, DC this weekend. There's an antiquarian print auction to attend, museums to visit, and plenty of time to stitch in the car!

Oh...I forgot to mention that one of my "In Box" series pieces was accepted into the Piccolo Spoleto juried show in Charleston....so if anyone is going for the annual Spoleto Festival, check it out....in the city's Visitor Center.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Nice work. Do you do anything to the rubbings after you rub? What kind of crayons do you use? jusat regular Crayola?

lindacreates said...

Susan, this is wonderful and to my knowledge it is called a whole cloth quilt. I love the black and the lace was perfect. Enjoy your trip.

Wanda said...

I am so excited to see this piece since I was actually THERE when you were working on it! It is beautiful! I am so happy that I actually got to visit you guys and see your studio and your work, Susan. It was amazing. YOU are amazing

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow! That's just stunning!