Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Fashion and the Female


(Above: Fashion and the Female, Greenwood's Art Center.)

I'm thrilled that my free motion embroidered wedding veils are now hanging in the Arts Center in Greenwood, South Carolina alongside work by Miranda Mims Sawyer, Hamed Mahmoodi, Randy Pace, Morgan Sayers, Jane Allen Nodine, Abby Funderburk, Laretta Houston, Karen Johnson, Ashley Walker, and Hannah Poe. The photo above was provided by Jennifer Smith, Programs Director and curator of this invitational exhibition. My veils are actually hung in two locations across from one another.

This contemporary exhibit creates a visual dialogue about fashion and its impact on the female in our society. It is open August 1-27, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm, Saturdays 9:30am-1:30pm. Free admission. Reception is Thursday, August 25th from 6 - 8 PM. The Arts Center is located within the Federal Building, 120 Main Street, Greenwood. (864) 388-7800.
I will not be able to visit the show. I AM GOING TO HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK ... to be the "artist-in-residence" ... leaving tomorrow and not returning until September 4th! I will have my laptop, "smart phone", an external hard drive of all my photos and computer documents with me ... Thus ... I'll still be blogging and sharing this wonderful experience.

I'd better think about packing now!

5 comments:

monika@mysweetprairie.ca said...

lovely!! : )
~Monika

Lynn Cohen said...

You lead such an exciting artists life!
This exhibit looks amazingly wondeful. The floaty feel to the veils is terrific. I'd love to stand there and read them all.

Wishing you the most creative and wonderful time at the artist in residence experience too!

Julie said...

Have a fantastic time Susan. I'm glad there wasn't a last minute hitch.

Wanda said...

I just caught up on your blog. You've been so busy creating beautiful things. I'm not going to comment on each and every one of them but I did look at them all...enlarged alot and spent some time with you via the internet. I sure wish my imagination would give me a break....or that my imagination would break into my mind. Or whatever I'm trying to say! But I don't have to worry...I know that you know! I hope your trip went well and that you are getting set up. Oh..to add to what I sent to you in my last email...did you hae to sweep the cabin floor with a broom made out of branches? Oh wait..that's a witch, not an artist!!! Looking forward to your day to day experiences!

Anonymous said...

I love the way the veils just float, suspended in space. Have a fabulous time at the National Park - so pleased you're actually going to get to go!