Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Framed Keys

 (Above:  The Key to Harmony.  Inventory # 3243. 11 3/4" x 9 1/2". $80 plus tax and shipping, if applicable.  Click on any image in this blog post to enlarge.)

Although I'm always working on something I consider "major", I really enjoy making fun, small, accessible pieces too ... especially when I use recycled old keys!  I love keys!  I also love using my embellisher to create unique backgrounds onto which I can stitch each tagged key.  All fourteen pieces incorporate recycled materials ... from antique scraps of brocade ... to trim and vintage lace from Bill Mishoe's auction ... to leftover pieces of rusted doileys and damask ... to donated bits of fabric with lovely beading from cyber friend Margaret Blank in Canada!  (Thank you, Margaret!)

(Above:  Key to Peace.  Inventory # 3239.  Framed: 10 1/2" x 8 1/4". $60.)

I made these keys in order to beef up my inventory for the upcoming Sustainable Midlands' Holiday Sale on December 1st and the Crafty Feast show on Dec. 14th.  I'm very excited about these two events.  I've attended both these shows in the past but never applied to be a vendor until this year.  Hopefully, I'll have lots more handmade and recycled items to share during the coming month.  In the meantime, I'm listing my inventory number, dimensions, and prices ... because ... well ... they are "for sale" and were made with "holiday gift giving" in mind.  Yet, I hope no one thinks this blog is about "marketing" more than about "sharing".  It has never been my intention to blog for the purpose of drumming up business.  (This week I got blasted on an Facebook group because a price showed up on a post.  I left the group.) 

 (Above:  Key to Fame and Fortune.  Inventory # 3240.  Framed: 13 1/2" x 9". $80.)

Of course, if someone reading wants to make a purchase ... well ... great!  Just call or email me.  (803) 254-0842 or mouse_house@prodigy.net. Selling work has always been more of the "icing on the cake" than a reason to make anything.  There's a real "rush" when someone buys ... but it isn't the same feeling that brings me to my studio for hours on end.  It also isn't the motivation behind any of my installations.  Seriously, who buys things like my recent "thread" installation?  Selling is not the point!  I think artists can make both deeply profound and generally unmarketable work as well as enjoy making items that are right for gallery representation, craft shows, and for Internet sales.  As for me, making one type of work often provides the mental time to prepare for the other type of work.

 (Above:  Key to Freedom.  Inventory # 3247. Framed:  11 3/4" x 8". $70.)

So ... here are the rest of the framed keys made this week!  Enjoy!

 (Above:  Key to Happiness.  Inventory # 3252.  Framed:  11" x 11". $70.)


I am also linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts.

 (Above:  Key to Hope.  Inventory # 3251.  Framed:  12 1/2" x 10 1/2". $70.)

 (Above:  Key to Knowledge.  Inventory # 3248.  Framed:  10" x 8". $60.)

 (Above:  Key to Life.  Inventory # 3242.  Framed:  7 1/4" x 6 1/4". $40.)

 (Above:  Key to Love.  Inventory # 3241.  Framed:  9 3/4" x 8 1/2". $70.)

 (Above:  Key to World Peace.  Inventory # 3249.  Framed:  12" x 8 3/4". $80.)

 (Above:  Key to Wisdom.  Inventory # 3245.  Framed:  10 1/2" x 8 1/4". $60.)

 (Above:  Key to the Unique.  Inventory # 3250.  Framed with bottle caps collected recently by my parents with a key that came from my sister Sonya ... who is definitely "unique"!  11 1/2" x 10". $80.

 (Above:  Key to the Future.  Inventory # 3244.  Framed:  10 1/2" x 8 1/4". $70.)

(Above:  Key to Respect.  Inventory # 3246.  Framed:  12 3/4" x 8 1/4". $80.)

3 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am wondering....What would the comments have been if the price had been listed as free?
Deb
Love the piece "Key to Respect".

Margaret said...

I recognize some of those snippets! The white "wheel" fabric behind the "Freedom" key was from a favourite top of mine that I...outgrew. ;-) Glad you are enjoying the material and finding such fun ways to use it.

Wanda said...

If anyone knows you, they know that what you write in this post is true...selling was never the point of your art. Yes, it's the icing on the cake. That's a great way to put it. You create things. That's what you do. That's what you have always done. I think a little piece of you leaves every time you sell something. I think you actually like giving things away even more than selling them but you have to have an income!!! I'm glad you left that group. I really am. It is their loss