Friday, August 07, 2015

Being taped for The Quilting Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims

 (Above:  On site with The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims.)

(Above:  Taping of my friend Deb Langsam ... outside on the canopied porch.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

I am totally indebted to the fabulous Lyric Kinard who suggested me to the producers of The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims.  Although based out of Denver, Colorado, the show has several on-location sessions in various parts of the country.  This year Asheville, North Carolina was among the selected cities.  More than just "Asheville", the selected location was INCREDIBLE!  The taping took place at the North Carolina Governor's Western Residence, a spacious, well appointed mansion with an incredible view to the valley and city below.

 (Above:  Ricky Tims and Deb Langsam.)

It was also nice to watch my friend Deb Langsam being taped.  Deb provided the ending segment to Lyric's episode.  By the time she was on camera, the sun was bearing down and the temperatures were rising.


Thus ... I got lucky!  The second episode was moved inside.  The photo above includes Lyric ... who could have gone home but stayed to help.  I don't think I could have managed without her confidence, encouragement, and general knowledge of "what to do" in front of the camera.  I was really very nervous ... not really about being taped but because I knew my "step outs" might take too long (and because Lyric is such a seasoned professional ... just like Alex and Ricky. They can all speak without ever uttering an "er", "ah" or  "hum".  I'm talking about PERFECT ... first take!)

 

Finally, I was fitted with a microphone ...

 (Above:  Me, Alex Anderson, and Shelly Heesacker ... and if you look closely, there's the fragments of a real, late 19th century grave marker that I bought at Bill Mishoe's auction for $6.  I brought the broken parts with me for the taping and we actually made a real grave rubbing right there on set!)

... and Alex Anderson and the incredible Shelly Heesacker, the show's producer, quickly sorted through my "step outs". They easily managed to zero in on the most important points.  I had three new Grave Rubbing Art Quilts under construction.  They knew how to show off the various steps and techniques in the allotted time.
(Above:  Blessed Sleep, Crayon on silk grave rubbing with free motion machine and hand embroidery, vintage lace and buttons. 12" x 12". 

The taping went smoothly!  I showed the steps used to make this finished piece.  (I have Ellen Kochansky and the Rensing Center to thank for the lovely little pieces of lace used to embellish the work!)

 (Above:  Me, Ricky Tims, and Shelly Heesacker.)

So ... what's a "step out"?  Let me give you an easy example ... from a cooking show!  You know how the television personalities stir ingredients together and pour them into a pan?  Then, they miraculously say, "Now ... here's how it looks after twenty-five minutes of baking in a 350 degree oven" while removing a fully finished cake.  They haven't waited to roll film.  There was obviously a finished edible already in the oven.  That's a "step out".  In the photo above, Ricky Tims reduced my "step outs" perfectly.  Sure, each step was seen ... but he knew exactly how to relate my "In Box" melting techniques to the desired number of minutes.  It was fantastic.  They made me "look like a pro"!



The best part was the melting.  Here Ricky Tims and I are wearing the ventilator masks and zapping one of my "In Boxes".  It was exciting and fun.  I think Ricky enjoyed it too!


The last thing we did was to sit and talk about some of my Grave Rubbing Art Quilts.  It was a wonderful day.  Plus, I got an email earlier today.  The show is scheduled to air on November 23rd, 2015  (Show #1711).  I'm excited!

For the first time in several weeks, I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber artwork!

5 comments:

sonja said...

congratulation! mow more artists and fabric lovers will enjoy your work which is quite amazing.

Cay Denise said...

Congratulations, that's great!

Sandy said...

Very cool! You are a star on the rise!
Sandy

Margaret said...

What an exciting adventure!

RE: Lyric: I met her (unexpectedly) on the eve of this year's SAQA conference...and she was so gracious as I gushed over her as if I were a teen groupie! Not surprised those consummate professionals produced a wonderful recording session...now looking forward to seeing it as I am a TQS subscriber and big fan. Congratulations!!

SONYASPHERE said...

I'm excited to watch the show!