Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Buildings in Stitches, My Show at City Art

(Above:  Buildings in Stitches, my solo show at City Art. Click on any image to enlarge.)

Yesterday I was finally able to visit my solo show at City Art.  This wonderful gallery is just a mile from my home/studio, but I was unable to attend the opening reception.  The reception was last Thursday night during the annual holiday kick-off, an art crawl called "Vista Lights".  I was already in Wisconsin, ready to teach my HOT workshop at the Wisconsin Museum of Quilts and Fiber Arts.  My husband Steve, however, was in town and attended in my place.


Here's Steve with Wendy Wells, one of the co-owners of this second generation gallery.  Steve had a great time.  He also went to the Columbia Museum of Art for the opening of CUT! Costume and the Cinema.  I was filmed for several of the educational videos accompanying the exhibition. Yesterday, I went there too ... but I'll blog about it later (with links to the videos featuring me!)


City Art is a gigantic space.  The high ceilings and enormous number of running feet really challenged me to make larger work, use a limited palette, and try new presentations.  I've very pleased by both the show and the work that this opportunity provided.


I was surprised that my show extended into the more interior spaces ...



...with the white-on-white presentations on the more intimate white walls ... but they look good there!  Thank you, Wendy, Randy, Heather, Zach, and the rest of the staff at City Art!

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts!

3 comments:

Lesley Turner said...

Congratulations Susan. Your work looks wonderful. I do hope it is well received.

Margaret said...

Oh Susan! One of these days I'll save my loonies (those are Canadian dollars) and get down to see your work in person. Meanwhile, I must say -- I remain breathless at your output! And Steve is such a proud ambassador for your work; what a blessing! Hugs from 'way North of the border...

Norma Schlager said...

It looks like a fabulous show, as I'm sure it was. BTW I love your article in Quilting Arts. You really are a star!!