Monday, January 15, 2018

Nike's Advice II

 (Above:  Detail of Nike's Advice II.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

One of the last pieces finished in 2017 was Nike's Advice I.  I blogged about it HERE.  I had a total blast stitching it and started basting down Nike's Advice II right away.  There will be more! Free-motion stitching around all the little marks and paint dribbles is so much fun, and I have plenty of painted material.  When initially painted in public, I had 130 feet!

(Above:  Nike's Advice II.  A whole cloth art quilt of assorted paints and oil pastels on canvas with self-guided, free-motion machine embroidery.  64" x 54".  Hand-plied buttonhole stitched binding.)

During the two days of Artista Vista 2016, I painted with the public.  Barry Wheeler and John Allen created a great video of the project.  Then, I rolled it all up until I decide to quilt some of the sections.  I'm really pleased how this second piece turned out.

 (Above:  Nike's Advice II, detail.)

Looking at this section, I am reminded that I used a couple carved wooden printing blocks from India.  These made the blue designs.  I also used a 4" rolling brayer to smear the yellow paint in interesting ways.  I'm already at work on the next piece!

 (Above:  Nike's Advice II, detail.)

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts. 

1 comment:

Norma Schlager said...

So different than your usual work, but I like it, I like it. And it looks like it was fun to do.