Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Focusing on New Work After an Art Reception

 (Above:  In Box CCCXXXI, detail. Click on any image to enlarge.)

Time is flying by and the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show will be here before I know it.  Because I delivered a dozen pieces to the Grovewood Gallery last Friday, I know that I've got to be very focused in replacing them before heading north to Pennsylvania.  Thus, I spent the weekend busy in my studio.  In addition to In Box CCCXXXI, I worked on four new "Window Series" pieces which are at the end of this blog post.  Just scroll down!

(Above:  In Box CCCXXXI. Framed: 25 1/4" x 37 1/4".  Polyester stretch velvet on recycled, black packaging felt with free-motion stitching and melting techniques. $695.)

Of course, I was really happy in my studio.  After all, the weekend came on the heels of last Friday night's reception for my solo show, Last Words, at the Greenville Center for Creative Arts.  

 (Above:  Last Words at the Greenville Center for Creative Arts.)

The evening was great fun.  I talked to lots of people and almost forgot to snap a few photos until almost everyone had left.

 (Above:  Beth Andrews and me.)

Fortunately, my friend Beth Andrews was one of the other exhibiting artists.  Her work was in a group show called Textiles: A History of Expression which also included artists Alice Schlein, Sasha de Koninck, Kristy Bishop, and Meredith Piper.


I really enjoy watching people look at my work and the many interesting conversations that result.


People are always surprised that I don't mind touching!  My general artist statement includes the line:
I am drawn to textiles for their tactile qualities and often make work that is meant to touch and be touched.  I mean it!  I even allow people to touch the quilts, take a peek at the reverse side.

 (Above:  In Box CLVI. Inventory # 4359. Framed:  17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265.)

Now ... here are the four "Window Series" pieces that I started during the weekend, finished yesterday, and photographed today.

  (Above:  In Box CLVII. Inventory # 4360. Framed:  17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265.)

  (Above:  In Box CLVIII. Inventory # 4361. Framed:  17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265.)

 (Above:  In Box CLIX. Inventory # 4362. Framed:  17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265.)

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I was right; you don't sleep! ;-)

I'm not the veteran of Art Receptions that you are, but I admit...I return from them drained, and often resort to either cleaning the studio or slicing up fabric. Only once (this summer!) have I had to make new pieces double-quick (and then, only 2)...and that was challenge enough -- not because I'd no ideas or inspiration, but because with the short turn-around time, I'd no opportunity to recharge after the Reception. I continue to admire your energy.