Saturday, September 03, 2022

Mandala CXXXIII

(Above:  Mandala CXXXIII. Custom framed: 28 3/4" x 28 3/4". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Found objects include:  The wheel from an antique Saxony flax spinning wheel; hand carved wooden mules; empty gold, plastic thread spools; Tinker toy connectors; copper jelly molds; metal drawer handles; twenty-four Hi-Ro game pieces (think Dominoes on black, wooden hexagonal shaped pieces of wood); buttons and beads.)

It has happened again!  I'm behind on my blogging!  I finished stitching this Found Object Mandala before our trip to New York City but I didn't get it mounted, framed and photographed until after our return. Of course, that was last week, but last week also had me going to the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art in Laurel, Mississippi to present the Artist Talk before the public reception for SAQA's (Studio Art Quilt Associates) global exhibition 3D Expressions!

(Above:  Composite image from my opportunity at the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art.)

It was quite an honor to represent SAQA; Martha Sielman, its executive director; Bruce Hoffman, the exhibit's juror; and especially all the talented artists in this show.  To view the exhibit, CLICK HERE. It was also fun to meet up with SAQA member Martha Ginn from nearby Hattisburg.  We met twelve years ago and have kept up with one another through social media.  Steve and I stayed in luxury at the Wisteria Bed & Breakfast.  It was fantastic.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXXXIII.)

In addition to this wonderful opportunity, I've been busy with plenty of other art related activities ... including preparations for my three-week art residency at Catoctin Mountain National Park in Maryland.  I leave on Wednesday at 5:00 AM!  I haven't packed yet but "there's always tomorrow" (at least according to Clarice in Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer! LOL!  Seriously, I start packing tomorrow but that was always the plan!)

(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXXXIII.) 

Before I leave, I intend to post two small Found Object Mandalas that are also finished and perhaps finish, mount, photograph and post another large one.  Thank goodness I thrive when I'm busy!

1 comment:

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

Susan, I love your enthusiasm, going after what makes you happy and now that the world seems to be returning to some type of normal, you don't let the grass grow under your feet...enjoy your art residency