Monday, September 05, 2022

Mandala CXXXIV and CXXXV

(Above:  Mandala CXXXV. Custom framed: 13 1/2" x 13 1/2". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Found objects include: An old typewriter erasure; a round, white pin holder; a ViewMaster reel; red, metal pop tops; beer caps; four, green Tinker Toy connectors; keys; white and grey insulin lancets; four, white tape discs; and beads.  Click on either image to enlarge.)

I am deep into my "hunter-gatherer" mode that happens every time I'm about to leave for an art residency.  It's going to be quite exciting being in Catoctin Mountain National Park for three weeks. I leave at 5:00 AM on Wednesday in order to arrive on time to check into the provided cabin. While there, I'll have three different public engagements.  One will be this coming Friday at the Park's Visitor Center starting at 11:30 AM.  The other two will be from 2 to 4 p.m. on both Sept. 17 and 18 at the Thurmont Regional Library, 76 E. Moser Road, Thurmont. What will I be doing?  Well ... hand quilting with the public and talking about the various types of quilts, the history of quilting, and about art quilts.

(Above:  Mandala CXXXIV. Custom framed: 13 1/2" x 13 1/2". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Objects include: Miniature bowling pins; half of a tea strainer inside a blue, plastic lid; rubbery, yellow Smiley faces; large, gold colored pop tops; screw eyes; four number three house numbers; jingle bells; four, gold colored plastic bottle caps; buttons and beads.)

My public program is the result of a few most serendipitous occurrences.  I received the most wonderful donation of antique linens and patchwork on the week I learned that I got the art residency.  I knew I wanted to finish the four, 1890s silk crazy quilt blocks.  Seriously, it's been a UFO for about 120 years!  (To crafters, a UFO is an "unfinished object"!) There are campaign ribbons with dates, even one for President Benjamin Harrison (March 4, 1889, until March 4, 1893)!  Yet hand embroidery for such a work is sort of difficult in public if one doesn't have a portable quilting stand.

 
(Above:  The crazy quilt ... ready to be in public!)

Like a miracle, another donation came this weekend!  This PVC quilting stand was still in its box!  Never used! The woman who bought it is now deceased.  Her daughter and I really think she is looking down from heaven with smiles!  Before I leave, however, I really wanted to share the two, small Found Object Mandalas that were finished in the car while we drove to and from Mississippi last week.



 

No comments: