Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Mandala CXXXVI

(Above:  Mandala CXXXVI. Custom framed: 34 1/2" x 34 1/2". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Found objects include: a tamborine; a round, white pin holder with pins; eight, small Lincoln logs; wavy hair curlers; blue tri-way combs; aluminum pastry molds; four number three house numbers; regular sized red and black checkers; four, very large red checkers on which blue plastic lids and beer caps are stitched; eight, Hi-Ro game pieces (think Dominoes on black, wooden hexagonal shaped pieces of wood); long needle-like parts of prostate radioactive seed implant devices; eight, brass door knob plates; bread bag closure tabs; buttons and beads.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Before I left for my three-week art residency at Catoctin Mountain National Park, I'd finished stitching on this Found Object Mandala but didn't have the time to mount it, frame it, photograph it, or add it to my inventory book.  Obviously, I didn't have time to blog it either!  So ... now ... after about a month, it is hanging on a wall and ready to be shown.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXXXVI.)

It is shocking to think that it's been a week since I left Catoctin Mountain NP!  In many respects, it feels like a day or two.  In other respects, it feels like more than a month.  Why?  Well, I've been busy!  I gave a presentation to the Blythewood Historical Society, caught up with waiting custom picture framing orders, and delivered a small solo show to Park Circle Gallery in North Charleston.  The show features a nice selection of Found Object Mandalas.  The reception for that show is on Friday.  I've also nearly finished the antique crazy quilt that will be sent back to the National Park as my donation to their permanent art collection and finished stitching another Found Object Mandala (which I'll probably blog tomorrow.)  Tomorrow is also the day when a graduate level art class is coming to visit my studio.  Staying busy is a good thing. 

(Above and below:  Details of Mandala CXXXVI.)

 

1 comment:

Ann Scott said...

I know I say "Wow, this is amazing" on just about every post, about each piece, but this one seems especially intricate. So much to see and look for, and as always the elements work so well on the base quilt. Congratulations on your productive and successful residency. Lucky those who shared that time and conversation with you!