(Above: In Box CDXC. Framed: 17" x 9 1/2". Layers of polyester stretch velvet fused to synthetic white felt with hand embroidery and melting techniques. Click on either image to enlarge.)
Recently I finished several, small "skinny" pieces ... all using white synthetic felt ... all framed the same size ... all similar in design ... well ... sort of! This one is different because it wasn't as tall but was wider. The size was determined by a scrap of anti-reflective/UV museum glass. It's expensive. I try to use every scrap! Facing this unusual size was a challenge. The pieces of polyester stretch velvet were wider than those on the skinnier pieces. This required me to fill in areas with a variety of hand embroidery, not just my usual straight stitch with a few colonial knots. Adding cross stitches might not sound like a big deal but the planning involved meant more concentration! LOL!
Also, I melted more holes through the layers. This involves more planning too! Why? Well, I have to be aware of where the thread goes on the back side of the piece. I can't allow a thread to cross over the place I intend to make into a hole! I like this sort of challenge! Perhaps there's another scrap of museum glass sitting around just waiting for my next challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment