Sunday, October 04, 2026

New Lancet Window

 

(Above:  Lancet Window CCXLV.  Custom framed:  31" x 11".  Layers of polyester stretch velvet on repurposed, black industrial felt with free-motion machine embroidery and melting techniques.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

This is the first of two Lancet Windows I plan on taking to the upcoming Southern Highland Craft Show in Asheville.  Steve has already built the frame for the second one but I haven't started it.  I have all of next week, however, to work in my studio!  I am very much looking forward to large blocks of time with my scissors, iron, and stash of polyester stretch velvet!

 
(Above:  Detail of Lancet Window CCLXV.)

I've used this same basic design before but no two are ever alike.  Why?  Well, all the material is cut by hand.  The layers also sort of shift under the weight of my hot iron.  Most importantly, my stash of polyester stretch velvet keeps changing.  Over the years, several colors have been discontinued.  Other colors replace them.  Right now, I have four different shades of pink but am lacking in shade of blue.  It is always a challenge!

(Above:  Detail of Lancet Window CCLXV.)

When I first started my "Fiber Stained Glass Series", I had a beautiful range of extremely sheer chiffon ... the sort once made into scarves for women to wear over hair curlers ... nearly invisible.  But they were discontinued.  Now I am using sheer tulle/netting.  Thing evolve!

 
(Above ... me with Lancet Window CCXLV.)

Don't get me started on the way framing materials have come and go!  Fortunately, I really like the selection that is currently available.



No comments: